Lemon Thyme Potatoes au Gratin are filled with savory, sharp lemon flavor. This dish is also creamy and loaded with fresh garlic, thyme and Parmesan cheese making it a rich and complex side dish.
This Lemon Thyme Potatoes au Gratin recipe is a perfect side dish for special meals, holiday gatherings and anytime you want to treat yourself to a special root veggie dish! It goes well with ham, beef, or just about any main course… but here at Vintage Kitty we even love it as a brunch dish!
We here at Vintage Kitty are very excited to join the #SundaySupper movement, an initiative that encourages families to sit down together over a home-cooked meal. It’s an old-fashioned idea that deserves a comeback. So we hope to inspire you to cook up a meal from scratch and sit down with your loved ones for meaningful conversation. laughter and love this Sunday night.
All Sunday, you can join our Twitter conversation where we’ll share recipes and ask questions about our weekly topic. This week Cindy from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings is hosting our online celebration of root vegetables! So look us up on Twitter using the hashtag #SundaySupper. I’d love to know what recipes you’re making for the family, so tweet me @ and let’s chat!
In case you haven’t noticed, I LOVE lemon! It’s a staple in my kitchen so you’ve probably seen it in some of my go to recipes like Lemon Chicken Noodle or Lemon Icebox Pie, or that its a subtle, acidic or fragrant element in many of my dishes. There simply is not a more versatile fruit because lemon goes in savory dishes just as well as it does in sweet desserts.
In this potato dish, lemon provides a bit of bite and lots of depth to an otherwise dull dish. Yes, potatoes, cheese and cream are delicious, but all that starchy, salty and fat flavor can be a bit one note without some counterpoint. Lemon juice and zest provide that culinary interest…along with a bit of thyme, white wine and garlic.
These are simple, classic flavors that make an ordinary root vegetable into the highlight of a meal! And seriously, these potatoes can shine at any meal. Serve them with bacon and fresh fruit for breakfast, with baked eggs and a mimosa for brunch, or with a steak au poivre for a classic French dinner. Can you say #omnomnom?
Last year I served these delish Lemon Thyme Potatoes au Gratin for Easter. I think the family asked for more seconds of these potatoes than the gorgeous Chocolate Easter Bunny Cake I labored over! They are just that good! Perfect with ham and asparagus! Another plus is that although they take a while to prepare, they are forgiving to being kept warm in the oven or reheating.
They are delicious, filling and your new favorite dish!
I’ll leave you with the recipe while we sit down at the table for seconds!!!! Happy #SundaySupper!
- 2 pounds ½-3 Russet potatoes thinly sliced
- 2 TB butter divided
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- cup ½ white wine or chicken stock
- 1 cups ½ heavy cream
- 2-3 drops hot sauce
- 1 TB fresh thyme chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- Juice of one lemon
- Zest of one lemon
- Pepper to taste
- 4 oz parmesan cheese finely grated
Peel potatoes and slice into very thin rounds.
As you get done each potato, place it in a bowl of water to prevent browning.
Butter a shallow baking dish and preheat oven to 375F.
Place remaining butter in a skillet and place over medium-high heat.
Sauté garlic until fragrant and golden.
Add white wine, heavy cream, hot sauce and salt to the pan and bring to a simmer.
Reduce liquid by one-third then turn down to low and add lemon juice, zest and thyme.
Season with pepper to taste and set aside.
Drain potatoes and place in baking dish, overlapping, one layer at a time.
Cover each layer with a little sauce and Parmesan cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
Uncover and bake for another 35-65 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender and golden brown.
Remove from oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Chips from Momma’s Meals
- Golden Beet Chips with Sea Salt from Sunday Supper Movement
- Roasted Beet Hummus from And She Cooks
- Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Garlic Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Roasted Sweet Potato Soup from Magnolia Days
- Root Vegetable Soup with Herb Croutons from An Appealing Plan
- Waffled Carrot Latkes from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Brunch-n-Bites
- Carrot Cake Waffles from Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade from Dad Whats 4 Dinner
- Sweet Potato Biscuit and Sausage Gravy Skillet Bake from The Texan New Yorker
- Bacon-Potato Torte from Tramplingrose
- Beef & Root Vegetable Hand Pastries from Gate to Plate
- Beet, Blue Cheese and Bacon Pizza from Caroline’s Cooking
- Beet Pesto from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Celery Root, Apple and Gorgonzola Flat Bread Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Hearty Stew Hand Pies from The TipToe Fairy
- Roasted Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad from The Chef Next Door
- Root Vegetable and Beef Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Borscht from The Crumby Cupcake
- Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes from Life Tastes Good
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Our Good Life
- Turnip Rutabaga and Root Veggie Beef Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Wild Rice Vegetable Bake from Wholistic Woman
- Baked Potato Wedges with Parmesan and Garlic from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beet, Greens and Goat Cheese Gratin from Monica’s Table
- Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Browned Butter Braised Baby Turnips from Food Lust People Love
- Caprese Twice Baked Potatoes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Carrot Ribbon and Orange Salad from Pies and Plots
- Celery Root Gratin with Horseradish Cream from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Italian Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Potatoes from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Gogoma Jorim (Korean Soy-braised Sweet Potatoes) from kimchi MOM
- Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Jicama Home Fries from Casa de Crews
- Lemon Thyme Au Gratin Potatoes from Vintage Kitty
- Moroccan Harissa Potatoes from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Balsamic Carrots from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Roasted Root Vegetable Farro from Cooking Chat
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes (with make-ahead tip) from Meal Planning Magic
- Root Vegetable Mash from Feeding Big and more
- Rooty Dauphinoise from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Smashed Potatoes from Taste And See
- Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole from Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Carrots & Potatoes from Sweet Mornings
- Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apples, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Best Ever Carrot Cake from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Carrot Cookies from The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Carrot & Squash Muffins from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Carrot Cake from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Iced Beet Cake from Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake from Real Food Real Deals
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement