This sharp and creamy Easy Cheddar Cheese Ball will be a party favorite this holiday season!
Aged cheddar is combined with cream cheese and rolled in butter roasted apple chips and pecans with a sprinkle of fresh rosemary. Just 7 ingredients for this no fuss, delicious recipe.
So, I know everyone will crowd around this homemade EASY Cheddar Cheese Ball… and I’ll be first in line!
I have a weakness for cheese… even better if it’s creamy and spreadable. But you know I like my food REAL, so the challenge was making an Easy Cheddar Cheese Ball with lots of flavor but simple enough to make at home.
The trick is using a handy dandy microplane! Fine aged cheddar cheese gets grated so finely that when you mix it with cream cheese, it’s super duper creamy! The richness of aged cheddar keeps this combo sharp, so this is the place to splurge when purchasing ingredients. You want a cheddar that is pungent but not crumbly so it will grate (and mix) with ease.
But there’s more to this cheese ball than the cheese! And what adds more crunch than butter roasted apple chips and pecans? Throw in a little fresh rosemary and you have a coating that is sweet, crunchy, salty and herbaceous!
It’s so absolutely, totally, delicious that the two of us polished off the first test batch WAY TOO QUICKLY! I see LOTS of exercise in my future (because those 16 ounces of cheese should feed a crowd!), but I’m so glad to bring you this new twist on a holiday classic!
Easy Cheddar Cheese Ball
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup apple chips
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- pinch sea salt
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz aged cheddar cheese, grated very fine, preferably with a microplane
- 1 tsp rosemary, finely chopped
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 325F.
- Melt butter and toss with apple chips, pecans and salt.
- Toast apple chips and pecans in the oven, stirring frequently, until dry and crunchy (about 5-10 minutes).
- While apples and pecans are cooling, whip cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Slowly add in cheddar cheese, mixing until creamy.
- Wrap cheese in plastic wrap and chill until it begins to firm up (about 20-30 minutes).
- While cheese is chilling, coarsely chop toasted apples and pecans and mix with rosemary.
- Once cheese is semi-firm, shape into a nice ball (the plastic wrap is your friend here, so leave it on, and just readjust it as necessary.
- Carefully roll cheese ball in coating, rewrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Can be made 3-4 days in advance.
- If you want the apple pecan coating to be crunchy, roll the cheeseball immediately before serving. You can prepare the whole cheeseball in advance but the nuts and apples will absorb some moisture from the cheese... but it's still delicious this way.
You might also like:
Fried Mozzarella Balls with Pumpkin, Sage and Caramelized Onions
Take your party to the next level with these Fried Mozzarella Balls. They are crunchy on the outside, gooey on the inside and served with Yogurt Herb Dip.
Saucy Santa Cider Cocktail
Bubbly hard cider, fresh pomegranate seeds and springs of rosemary come together to make a festive holiday drink. Let’s toast to the season!
Dried Fruit Compote
Dried Fruit Compote is a versatile topping for a variety of sweet and savory snacks. Excellent for a cheese platter!