Take your picnic from boring to wow with this Colorful Potato Salad recipe. Fresh veggies, herbs and spices make this salad pop.
Potato salad can be boring, bland and just, well… ho hum. But not this Colorful Potato Salad! It’s filled with colorful veggies that make it pop. They say we eat with our eyes, right? No one will pass up this potato salad at your next barbecue! I mean, look at these veggies… red bell pepper, celery, red onion and… okay, you are right… I snuck an herb in there.
Let’s take a break for an embarrassing confession. I am to potatoes what Bubba Gump is to shrimp. Mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, french fried potatoes, potato pancakes, twice baked potatoes, hash brown potatoes, scalloped potatoes, roasted potatoes…potato salad! I have been known to order two potato sides when going out to eat. Mr. Bunny loves to tease me about this, mercilessly and loudly to the whole restaurant. What can I say? I am a Pennsylvania Dutch girl at heart. So, you won’t shame me out of an extra helping of potatoes.
Although, I do have to draw the line somewhere. For the sake of my girlish figure, I must walk past the potatoes as they call to me in the store. “Buy us. You know you want some luscious cream cheese mashed potatoes. Don’t leave us”. Sorry potatoes, its not you, its me.
But I make an exception for special occasions. Like picnics, Memorial Day, Father’s Day, words that end in day…
But seriously, back to the subject at hand: I love making this potato salad for a crowd. Five pounds of potatoes is too much for even me, The Potato Queen, but for that picnic or family reunion, it is the perfect amount. So print this recipe. Your friends will thank you for not bringing another boring potato salad.
Colorful Potato Salad
- 5 lbs red skin potatoes
- ¾ cup celery, finely diced
- ½ cup red onion, finely diced
- ¾ cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- ¾ cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cups olive oil mayo
- 1-¼ tsp paprika
- 1-½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp celery seed
- 2-½ tsp sea salt
- 1-½ tsp white pepper
- Fill a large pot with water and put on the stove to boil.
- While water is heating, wash and remove the eyes from potatoes.
- Cut potatoes into one inch cubes.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender, but still firm.
- Drain potatoes and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine red onion, bell pepper, celery and parsley. (If desired, reserve a little of each vegetable for garnish).
- Add mayo and spices and mix well.
- Stir in the cooled potatoes, gently folding mixture so potatoes are not smashed.
- Garnish with parsley and veggies.
- Chill until ready to serve.
If you make this recipe, post a picture on Twitter or Instagram and tag it #vintagekittyblog. I would love to see your pretty potatoes!
You might also like:
Easy Summer Garden Pasta
This easy Summer Garden Pasta is the perfect late summer, weeknight dinner. It’s fresh, bright, savory and filling without being heavy.
Summer Rolls with Tropical Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
This is the perfect finger food for your next cookout. Serve them as an appetizer or replace the traditional bowl of salad for a cool, crunchy side dish.
Chorizo Pinto Beans
Chorizo Pinto Beans are excellent as a meal, side dish or topping for nachos. Made with real chorizo, these slow cooked beans are packed with flavor.