Summer Rolls with Tropical Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce are the perfect finger food for your next cookout. Serve them as an appetizer or replace the traditional bowl of salad for a cool, crunchy side dish.
Fresh vegetables star in these quick and easy Summer Rolls but its the Tropical Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce that will make you come back for more. It is got just the right balance of sweet and salty and of course plenty of umami too! You are definitely going to double dip!
#CookoutWeek continues with one of my favorite dishes! I simply cannot eat enough summer rolls! Maybe it’s the fresh, crunchy salad fixings or that it’s finger food. Or possibly it’s the delectable sauces that come with them that make summer rolls irresistible . Whatever the reason, summer rolls always hit the spot.
There is no right recipe either because you can put whatever you like in them. I like mine with shrimp, but you can just as easily use chicken, tofu or no protein at all. You can also use your favorite veggies, so the Summer Roll recipe below is just a guide.
That’s why this dish is perfect for cookouts. It’s so easy to make a variety of summer rolls at once. So if your crowd includes vegetarians and vegans, you’re covered.
Now let’s get saucy! Some recipes use a peanut sauce but I prefer a sweet and sour approach. So, I created this Tropical Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce to make those fresh veggies pop! Yes, it has a somewhat long list of ingredients including a flavored vinegar, but it only takes 5 minutes to make! You’ll be drinking Hibiscus Shandies in no time.
I’d love to hear your favorite summer roll combinations. Comment below or connect with me via social media. I love to chat food!
Summer Rolls Recipe
Tropical Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
- 4 teaspoons garlic minced
- 4 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons tropical vinegar (I used a white balsamic flavored with orange, mango and passion fruit)
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 12 rice paper wrappers
- 12 steamed or grilled shrimp , sliced in half
- 1 english cucumber , thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 red bell pepper , julienned
- 12 leaves lettuce , about 4-5 inches in length
- 2 cups purple cabbage , sliced thin
- 36 leaves mint
- ¼ cup cashews , chopped
Tropical Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium microwave safe bowl.
- Whisk to combine then microwave in 30 second intervals until sauce thickens and becomes translucent. (Make sure to whisk between intervals)
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place warm water in a cookie sheet and dip one rice paper wrapper in the water.
- Transfer wrapper to a cutting board and smooth out.
- Place two shrimp halves in the center and top with cabbage, red peppers and cashews.
- Near the bottom place the cucumber, mint leaves and lettuce.
- Fold the right side of the rice paper over.
- Fold up the bottom over the lettuce and roll once.
- Fold the left side over and roll towards the top.
- Serve with prepared sauce.
You might also like:
Sesame Cashew Noodle Salad Bowls
Sesame Cashew Noodle Salad Bowls are just the thing for hot summer mealtimes. They are loaded with a rainbow of colorful fruits and vegetables.
Chorizo Pinto Beans
Chorizo Pinto Beans are excellent as a meal, side dish or topping for nachos. Made with real chorizo, these slow cooked beans are packed with flavor.
Chocolate Strawberry Mint Dessert Pizza
Chocolate Strawberry Mint Dessert Pizza with whole-milk ricotta cheese! This recipe lies at the intersection of easy and unbelievably delicious!
Orange Chai Iced Tea
Orange Chai Iced Tea will make your summer cool and sweet. There isn’t a more classic way to relax with friends on a hot day.
Leave a Reply