Double Chocolate Maple Hot Cocoa is just the cocktail to warm you up on chilly #Choctoberfest nights! A little Jim Beam Maple Whiskey, a shot of Godiva Chocolate liqueur and you have a sweet and smokey adult beverage that yearns to be served fireside with a piece of chocolate candied bacon!
This has to be the most scrumptious hot cocoa OF ALL TIME! It’s like hot cocoa gone wild! Mr. Bunny tasted it and said, it tastes like it should be paired with bacon… So, what did I do? I made candied bacon dipped it in chocolate. This is how foodporn is created!
First, let’s get one thing straight…this is REAL hot cocoa. There’s no water and nothing came in a packet. Now that we’re on the same page, let’s talk about cocoa from scratch. It’s natural unsweetened cocoa, sugar (I used Imperial brand white granulated sugar, but their turbinado would be great too), whole milk and a pinch of salt. If you want to get cray cray you can add some real vanilla extract. So tasty and REAL!
That’s the cocktail base, then you add Jim Beam Maple Bourbon Whiskey and Godiva Dark Chocolate Liqueur. There might be similar liquors out there but these are the brands we tasted and loved (we tried about 15 or so liquor/hot cocoa combos!). Now, you could stop here, get a good book, grab a warm, fuzzy blanket and call it a night…
But if you have completely given up all hope of fitting into your jeans by Thanksgiving, you splurge and make candied bacon….candied bacon dipped in chocolate to be exact, because you have to accessorize this pretty cup! It’s much easier than it sounds! I’ll admit I am very late to this whole bacon desserts thing. But now I’m sold! Sweet caramelized bacon dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt. Yes please! I guess I’ll add more exercise to my schedule!
I hope these #Choctoberfest recipes are getting you thinking about fall gatherings and fun Halloween parties! Just because the weather is getting cold here on the East Coast, doesn’t mean that we can’t still have fun!
Don’t forget to enter our #Choctober GIVEAWAYS be clicking the links below!
$350+ in #Choctoberfest prizes.
Truffly Made truffle mold and Mat worth $85
- 3 strips of thick sliced bacon
- 1 TB Imperial Brown Sugar
- 1-2 oz . dark chocolate chopped
- Coarse sea salt
- 2 TB Imperial Sugar
- 1 TB unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 oz Jim Beam Maple Bourbon Whiskey
- 1 oz Godiva Dark Chocolate Liqueur
- Whipped cream optional
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Put bacon on a broiler pan and cover with brown sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 or until mostly done.
- Lower oven temperature to warm/150F and either open oven door slightly or turn on your convection bake setting.
- Let bacon dry out until crispy for another 10-15 minutes.
- Watch it carefully so it doesn't burn!
- Remove from oven and cut into 2 inch strips and transfer to the freezer to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt your chocolate in a heatproof bowl on defrost at 30 second intervals, stirring often.
- Place a sheet of wax or parchment paper on your counter.
- One by one, dip your bacon pieces in the chocolate.
- Let them set up for a few seconds before sprinkling them with coarse sea salt.
- Place sugar, milk,cocoa and salt in a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat, whisking frequently, until cocoa is hot, but not boiling.
- Pour hot cocoa into a mug and add liquors.
- Top cocoa with whipped cream and candied bacon and serve immediately.