These garlic sour cream mashed potatoes are hand mashed the old fashioned way! Perfect for any occasion, from a simple weeknight supper to holiday dinners.
Garlic Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 5 pounds white potatoes , peeled and diced into half inch pieces
- 5 cloves garlic , whole
- 12 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook the potatoes
- Fill a large stock pot three-quarters full of water and generously salt the water. Place on the stove over high heat and bring to a boil.
- When the water is boiling, carefully add the potatoes and whole garlic cloves.
- Cook potatoes 10-15 minutes. Potatoes are done when they break apart easily when pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and then mash immediately.
- Cut butter into pieces and place in the bottom of a large bowl (or your stock pot).
- Warm up heavy cream on the stove or in the microwave.
- Dump hot potatoes (and garlic cloves) on top of the butter and start mashing with a potato masher. When the potatoes are smooth, mix in the sour cream and heavy cream. Be careful to not over mix which can make mashed potatoes starchy or gluey.
- Season potatoes with sea salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Mashed potatoes done early? No problem. Keep them in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Got lumps? So what! They’ll know you made them from scratch!
- Want to make your potatoes smoother? I love this ricer from OXO. You may need to reheat your potatoes because this method take longer.
Side dishes make the meal! Don’t miss our other great recipes!
You might also like:
Thanksgiving Turkey Cutlets
Small Thanksgiving dinner party? This recipe for turkey cutlets combines the best parts of a roast turkey and stuffing, but easily serves two to four people without all the fuss.
Maple Bacon Cupcakes
Maple Bacon Cupcakes are a deliciously sweet and salty treat. With pancake flavored cake and fluffy maple buttercream frosting, these made from scratch cupcakes are a must have dessert!
Mouthwatering Thanksgiving Menu Ideas
Need help putting together a Thanksgiving menu? Look no further! Our mouthwatering collection of recipe ideas range from traditional to trendy.
Leave a Reply