Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate Popcorn is a perfect movie night snack for #Choctoberfest. Flavored with cocoa, cinnamon, and red chili flakes, this popcorn delights the taste buds. A little bit sweet and a little bit spicy, and über flavorful, this popcorn will make your night in feel like a night out.
There is nothing better on a chilly evening than to curl up with a blanket, a bowl of popcorn and a flick. Buttered popcorn is great but I’m a sucker for flavored popcorn. Cheese flavored, kettle corn, or even something savory, I like to take my popcorn to the next level.
We make this amazeballs Mexican spiced hot chocolate and it is out of this world. We serve it at fall and winter gatherings, I always get recipe requests. So I thought to myself…”self, how can I get that flavor into a popcorn?” It turned out to be a lot easier than I thought. Like the milk in the hot cocoa, popcorn is a blank canvas to work with. So I figured I could use the same kind of spices with my popcorn and get a similar flavor profile.
Fancy popcorn is a cinch. For this recipe, you pop your popcorn however you like, air popper, stove top, fancy popcorn machine; they all work. Then you make a simple caramel that takes less than five minutes to prepare. You toss the popcorn in the caramel and transfer it to the oven to set up for an hour. This is the hardest part of the whole shebang. You will not want to wait, but you have to! Be patient, if you don’t let the popcorn dry, all the water in the caramel and butter will make a sad, soggy popcorn. MOVIE NIGHT FAIL. So drink a glass of wine, read a book and drool as you smell the popcorn, but leave it in the oven for the entire 60 minutes.
In the end, you will have a popcorn that is crunchy with hints of toffee and cinnamon complimented by a touch of heat and chocolate. Mmmmmmm good… So go make some popcorn, cue up your movie and relax, It’s Saturday and you’ve earned it!
Don’t forget to enter our #Choctoberfest GIVEAWAYS!
$350+ in #Choctoberfest prizes.
Truffly Made truffle mold and Mat worth $85
Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate Popcorn
- 2 TB dark brown sugar or cane sugar
- 2 TB organic sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 TB salted butter
- 1 TB water
- 1 TB vanilla extract
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- Preheat oven to 200F
- Combine in a small food processor or mortar and pestle sugars, cinnamon and red pepper flakes.
- Pulse until red pepper flakes are ground fine.
- In a large stock pot, combine butter, water and sugar mixture.
- Cook over medium-high heat until boiling.
- Let boil until sugar is melted, or about 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and cook one more minute.
- Add baking soda. Mixture will foam up.
- Cook a minute, turn off heat and add cocoa powder.
- Stir until cocoa powder is dissolved.
- Add popped popcorn int three batches, tossing between each additon.
- Spread popcorn onto two parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for one hour, stirring popcorn every 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store ina an air-tight container.