Our zesty harissa hummus recipe is the perfect beginning to a party platter. It’s lemony, a little spicy and so easy to make!
Become a party platter expert! This Harissa Hummus Recipe takes just 10 minutes to make so you have time to make an impressive tray of yumminess. Get our tips below!
Let’s talk hummus! It’s one of the easiest recipes to make thanks to the food processor! It’s a dip, it’s a spread and it’s full of yummy! We’re gonna twist things up today with this harissa hummus recipe.
Harissa has been all the rage lately, but if you’re unfamiliar, its a hot pepper paste that is filled with garlic and spices. It’s originally from Tunisia but can be found in North African and Middle Eastern cuisines. Yes, it’s not just me, I know there are many of y’all in the middle of nowhere asking where can you find harissa. Thanks to the world wide web, everyone can get some via Amazon.
Harissa takes hummus from plain jane to fabulous, darling! I wouldn’t call it spicy, because it’s not hot. It’s more of a zesty, complex flavor with interesting notes of lemon, garlic and a bit of warmth from the harissa’s hot peppers. It’s the kind of recipe that gets better with age as the flavors take about a day to fully meld.
That’s great news if you’re planning a party, because you can make this harissa hummus recipe a day or two before your party, so all you have to do the day of is prepare your appetizer platter. And the sky is the limit! Read our tips below on creating a winning hummus platter.
Creating a winning hummus platter:
- Veggies are a must! And the fresher the better, so slice these the day of your party because ingredients like cucumbers and onions can go bad very quickly.
- Make sure to have some crunch on your hummus platter. I prefer pita chips over pita, but also consider adding nuts to your spread.
- Include a salty ingredient. We chose olives, but another great choice is marinated artichokes.
- Cheese please! We cubed feta and tossed it with pepper, parsley and extra virgin olive oil.
- Don’t forget the garnish. A little freshly chopped parsley goes a long way! If you’re an overachiever, toss any leftover chickpeas with some harissa, olive oil plus a generous pinch of salt and roast until crunchy.
Harissa Hummus Recipe
- 2 cups canned chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons harissa
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Love this recipe? Check out all our appetizer recipes!
You might also like:
Keep the salad routine from getting boring with this pan-fried, crispy peanut chicken recipe. Great for light dinners!
Tabouli Turkey Burgers
Make your next cookout a multicultural affair. These Tabouleh Turkey Burgers with Feta and Harissa are a fresh take on the classic grilled burger.
Anytime of year, this recipe for broccoli salad with bacon and cheddar is a potluck winner! Homemade bacon and mayo dressing with a hint of cayenne kick renders this broccoli salad unforgettable!