Make a little indoor magic with these Galaxy Puff Pastry Donuts with Chocolate Starglazing.
These galaxy-inspired faux donuts are so much faster than the real thing, but just as delicious. Frozen puff pastry dough and a 5-minute chocolate icing make a stellar dessert!
I’m super excited to announce the beginning of a new series on Vintage Kitty called #diydatenight. Everyone needs more fun date night ideas, right? Even better if they are out-of-the-box dates that keep your relationship romantic and amusing .
So, whether you are dating or married, this series is for you. You can expect quick, delicious recipes and creative activities, hopefully quite a few that will be just off-the-wall enough to keep you laughing all night!
Because I can be an un-spontaneous nerd, I had to enlist some help! Two minds think better than one, so I was thrilled when Megan Crow agreed to collaborate with me on this #diydatenight series. Megan is a Seattle area freelance illustrator who creates the most amazing portraits of couples. I discovered her artwork via her Tumblr page and had this gut feeling that I should contact her with my idea.
I’m so glad I did because not only does she have a Julia Child tattoo, she has a husky too!!!! Food lover, check. Dog lover, check. It was meant to be!
Megan is going to keep my nerd impulses in check with her artist cool. And you, lovely readers, will get the sense of wonder and fun of #diydatenight from her cute illustrations.
Like these adorable Galaxy Puff Pastry “Donuts” with Chocolate Starglazing! Tomorrow you can expect the full #diydatenight lineup, but today we’re giving you a little hint into the first theme.
This recipe is a taste of what’s to come (sorry, send me to the pun-itentiary) .
Since real donuts are quite the endeavor, puff pastry is the base of these faux donuts…they are the perfect vehicle for a 5-minute chocolate icing that is so decadent, it’s tempting to eat it alone with a spoon!!!
These donuts are made extra cute with galaxy sprinkles. I created a mix of blue, pink, purple and white sprinkles and sanding sugars I had on hand, but if you don’t have a huge stash like me, Sweetapolita has the perfect mix you can buy.
Galaxy Puff Pastry Donuts with Chocolate Starglazing
- 1 box puff pastry ( I used Pepperidge Farm which is vegan)
- 1 tablespoon milk or heavy cream
- flour or powdered sugar for rolling
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup agave
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Unfold one sheet of puff pastry onto a work surface dusted with flour or powdered sugar and roll out just enough to "heal" the fold marks
- Using a 3-4 inch star cookie cutter, cut out "donuts"
- Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry
- In a small cup or bowl make an egg wash by whisking together the egg and milk
- Paint the stars with the egg wash
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown
- In a bowl large enough to dip donuts, mix together the melted butter (or coconut oil) and cocoa powder.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth
- Dip stars into glaze and then dust with sprinkles if desired
You might also like:
Chocolate Cherry Pancakes
Take your breakfast from ordinary to sweet with these from scratch Chocolate Cherry Pancakes.
Hickory Marshmallow S’mores
Made from scratch with artisan hickory syrup and whiskey, fine chocolate has met it’s match with these fluffy confections.
Peanut Butter Honey Dark Chocolate Truffles
Filled with a creamy peanut butter and honey filling, these candies are sure to please a crowd.
I shared this recipe on the following linkups. Come join the fun!
♦ Fiesta Friday
♦ Friday Favorites with Life in Leggings
♦ Friday Favorites with Momfessionals, A Little Bit of Everything, and Grace and Love
♦ Weekend Potluck with The Country Cook,Sweet Little Bluebird, Mommy’s Kitchen, The Better Baker, & Served Up with Love
♦ Swing into Spring-It’s a Party by DIY by Design
♦ Sincerely Paula’s No Rules Weekend Blog Party
♦ Saucy Saturdays with Mid-Life Croissant, The Flavor Bender, La Petit Chef & Take Two Tapas