You can’t go wrong with chili cheese dogs for easy summer dinners, tailgating or barbecues. Homemade chili served up on hot dogs in just 30 minutes!
Don’t chili cheese dogs just scream summer? It’s the meaty main course that will prove you’re a rockstar in the kitchen with a side of fun!
Goodness, do I LOVE chili cheese dogs! They are one of my favorite guilty pleasures because eating them reminds me of vacations in Cape May. Trip after trip, lunch on the beach is always from Hot Dog Tommy’s.
Tommy’s is literary a hole in the wall! It’s a to-go counter with all the street food indulgences of the beach, like frozen cokes, loaded mashed potatoes, and hot dogs topped with anything you can imagine. But the chili cheese dog is my standard order.
Sadly, I don’t have any beach excursions on my calendar so making chili cheese dogs at home will have to suffice. And boy do I need the day-dreaming distraction! We’re having the weirdest weather right now….like a monsoon in May and our Victorian fixer upper is literally leaking everywhere!
Jefferson County is flooding and so is everything within 30 miles of us. Can you believe we’re expecting another 2-5 inches of rain? Couldn’t leave if I wanted to…because buckets and buckets of water! But hot dogs I can do.
Luckily, this is a 30 minute recipe! And I don’t mean open a can of chili quick…. it’s homemade chili made with ground beef and fresh veggies….which is why this recipe is so awesome!
It’s also really flexible because there’s enough chili to make 24 hot dogs… perfect for barbecues, tailgating or kids parties… but it’s also fun for easy weeknight dinners. You can always freeze the leftover chili for the future when you only have 10 minutes to get dinner on the table rather than 30. We’ve all been there, right?
Tips and tricks for making chili cheese dogs
- We used a package of McCormick’s chili seasoning which cuts down on time and ingredients, but you can use any seasoning mix you like. We found the mix to be rather mild so we added some extra hot chili powder from Penzeys for the first recipe test.
- The second time we didn’t seed to jalapenos to give the chili more kick but you could use hot chili powder too.
- Garnishing the chili dogs with fresh hot chile slices will please the heat lovers in your clan.
- We’ve topped our chili dogs with grated cheddar cheese. I like cheddar because the sharp flavor stands up to the richness of the chili. But you can use other cheeses like monteray jack or pepper jack.
This chili cheese dog recipe really hit the spot! They are messy, cheesy, delicious as the toppings drip down your hands and face. Totally summer food!
But I think I’ll skip the side next time and have another chili cheese dog? Hahaha! They are THAT GOOD!
Chili Cheese Dogs Recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 1 green pepper , diced
- 2 large jalapenos , diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 package chili seasoning
- 1 can lentils
- 1 can tomato paste
- 24 hot dog buns
- 24 hot dogs
- 3 cups cheddar cheese , grated
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- In a dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions, green pepper and jalapenos and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add in beef, breaking up beef as you cook it.
- Once the ground beef is broken up, add the chili seasoning, lentils and tomato paste.
- If the mixture looks dry add 1/2 cup a water.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Cook until the beef is cooked and the vegetables are tender, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the chili is almost done, place the hot dogs on cookie sheet and broil for about 5 minutes.
- Place hot dogs in buns and top with chili and shredded cheddar cheese.
- This recipe is also great with grilled hot dogs!
- We used McCormick chili seasoning
You might also like:
Turkey Burgers with Feta
Make your next cookout a multicultural affair. These Tabouleh Turkey Burgers with Feta and Harissa are a fresh take on the classic grilled burger.
Colorful Potato Salad
Take your picnic from boring to wow with this Colorful Potato Salad recipe. Fresh veggies, herbs and spices make this salad pop.
Apple Slab Pie
This slab pie has everything your sweet tooth desires! Doesn’t a flaky cinnamon crust filled with luscious apple butter and an almond oat crumb sound irresistible?