Breakfast Fried Rice… This is for everyone out there that doesn’t have leftover Chinese food in the fridge!
I know you’ve done it. You’ve snarfed down restaurant leftovers in a rush to get out the door in the morning. If you are like me you are eating them with keys, bag, and coffee in hand. So yeah, pizza, Chinese, its all fair game when time is limited. But we can all avoid the breakfast walk of shame with this recipe. This breakfast fried rice is super easy, only requires 7 basic ingredients, and you can make it before the coffee is done brewing,…well almost.
Fast is a winner in my book because I am not a morning person. However, I am a fan of breakfast. I like a good meal to get my day started off right. If you are like me, you are in luck. This fried rice has got the good stuff in there….bacon and eggs. That’s right. This is the kind of breakfast that will power you through your morning.
But plain bacon and eggs are a yawn, so let’s add in some leftover rice, chopped asparagus, sliced scallions, a splash of soy sauce and a dash of pepper. That’s what I’m talkin’ ’bout!
What I love about this recipe is that the asparagus is unexpected for fried rice but goes so well with soy sauce. I also love that it’s fast. Did I say that already? Well, its worth repeating. Because who wants to spend their morning cooking a long and complicated breakfast over a hot stove? Not this girl. I sleepwalk through the morning until I’m well into my third cup of coffee, so quick and easy is perfecto!
Don’t get me wrong, I love all kinds of complicated morning fare, like quiche and fancy pastries. But if I make those things, I usually make them the night before and reheat them. I’m a night owl, so mornings are so very hard and in my opinion, overrated.
Luckily, Mr. Bunny agrees. Weekends here usually start by seeing who can out-sleep who. The dog is doing the pee pee dance, the cats are scratching at the bed asking for food and we are dead to the world. So, if we manage to make breakfast before noon, we pat ourselves on the back.
Thanks to this Breakfast Fried Rice recipe, we might get a better start to our mornings. Or maybe not, but breakfast for dinner is always good too!
- 3 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 large spears of asparagus, chopped into one inch pieces
- 2 large scallions, separated. White parts minced, green tops sliced thin
- 1½-2 TB ½-2 soy sauce
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1½ cups cooked jasmine rice
- Pepper to taste
Fry bacon over medium heat until crispy and browned.
- With a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a plate covered with a paper towel.
- Using about half of the bacon fat, sauté the minced scallion and asparagus with 1 Tb of soy sauce until the asparagus is tender but still has a bit of crunch.
- Add eggs a scramble until just done.
- Add rice and remaining soy sauce and stirfry about 2 minutes. (If the rice starts to stick, add more of the bacon fat).
- Add three-quarters of the bacon and press rice mixture into pan and cook without stirring a few more minutes until crispy.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with green scallion, remaining bacon and hot sauce if desired.
You might also like:
This Gingerbread Granola is super easy to make and great for snacking, yogurt parfaits or as a thoughtful homemade gift. Gingery, sweet, crunchy, nutty and so good, you’ll want to eat this granola all year long!
Chocolate Cherry Pancakes
Take your breakfast from ordinary to sweet with these Chocolate Cherry Pancakes. They’re light, fluffy and decadent and a great way to start your day!
Fruity Yogurt Parfait Popsicles
Made with fresh fruit, creamy vanilla yogurt and homemade granola, these Fruity Yogurt Parfait Popsicles will cool you down any time of day…breakfast, lunch or just a snack. No guilt!