Blueberry Lime Shortbread is a great holiday icebox cookie. It’s filled with dried blueberries and lime zest giving it a fresh, zippy flavor and coated in an almond cornmeal crumb for added texture and crunch.
Take the fuss out of the holidays with this tasty Blueberry Lime Shortbread recipe. The dough can be made now and frozen until ready to bake! This recipe also makes a great gift because it keeps so well.
I have a weakness for cookies…like transform into cookie monster and eat handfuls of cookies… om nom nom!!!! But I’m a very picky cookie eater at the same time. Seriously, don’t give me a stale cookie. I might throw a tantrum over the wasted calories!!!! Who wants to eat a dry cookie that tastes like cardboard?
So when it comes to holiday cookies, they have to hold up for a while. That means staying fresh long enough to gift them or eat them for the prerequisite 12 days of Christmas. So, in my opinion, this nixes chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin and many other drop cookies that use baking soda or baking powder. But shortbread cookies last a long time since they are unleavened and contain lots of butter to keep them moist.
This year I’m a bit behind, but usually I start making cookie dough just after Thanksgiving. That way you save time for that last minute shopping and hours of wrapping presents. Tightly wrap the dough in wax or freezer paper and slip it in into a ziplock bag, label it and stick it in the freezer. Most doughs do not need to be thawed before baking, but if you have rolled cookies to make, transfer the dough to the fridge about 24 hours before you are ready to make your cookies.
The secret to these flavorful butter cookies is the fruity flavor of dried blueberries and fresh lime zest. They are sweet, tart, buttery and just a bit crumbly. A cornmeal almond crumb gives the cookies a little color and lots of crunchy texture so they look as sweet as they taste. Best of all, they are an icebox cookie that gets sliced, so no rolling or cookie cutters so it really doesn’t get much easier than this!
If you give these a try, please let me know how Santa likes them 😉 Leave a comment below. Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone!
Blueberry Lime Shortbread
- 1 cup salted butter 2 sticks
- Zest of 4 limes
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and and confectioners sugar until soft.
- Add lime zest and vanilla mix.
- Add flour in two batches.
- Stir in dried blueberries.
- Divide dough into four parts.
- Using wax paper, roll dough into one inch logs (if too soft to make a log, place dough in the refrigerator until slightly firm).
- Freeze dough until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Combine cornmeal, almonds and turbinado sugar in a food processor and grind until fine.
- Remove dough from freezer and let it warm up at room temperature for 10-20 minutes.
- Place crumb coating on a cutting board.
- Unwrap the cookie log and roll the dough in crumb coating, pressing lightly.
- Slice cookies in 1/4 inch slices and place on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until dry, firm and slightly golden.